Re: old GNU tarball

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 04:27:17PM +0100, Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> > > But it's not unexpected ... we need dpkg to setup the rest, but
> > > dpkg needs dselect and hurd so it's a bit of catch-22 situation.
> > Redirecting stderr gets rid of all warnings or error messages, expected or
> > unexpected.
>
> You don't say?! :-)
>
> Just to clearify, I was talking about adding redirection of stderr to the
> configuration of just one package - dpkg - not all packages! Eliminating
> that would save us from answering questions about an "error" that users
> can safely ignore.

It doesn'tmatter how much the one command does.  If it fails, and there are
dozens of ways dpkg could fail, you want to see the error.  I rather have a
couple of confused users ask for clarification than bug reports that lack
information because there is no way the user can get at the error message.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/