Re: tcpdump - live packet capture not supported

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:00:02AM +0700, budi@research.indocisc.com wrote:
> > tcpdump needs live packet capture, and whatever that is, we don't have it.
>
> Yes, Marcus, I realized it from the error message.
> But my question is:
>
> - > tcpdump: live packet capture not supported on this system
>   what does this term "live packet capture" mean?
>   (any reference / pointer to a web site would be nice)

I think it's because tcpdump needs to be able to read raw packets
from the network interface. That's what libpcap should do, but I
supose it's not doing. libpcap should treat the Hurd as a linux
system because it's using its TCP/IP stack (corect me if I'm
wrong please).

How it's done in user space in linux, can be found in man packet(7).

regards,
guillem