Re: ssh, /dev/urandom

Alfred a écrit :

 >    With allowing GNU/Hurd _users_ to _use_ an ssh client.

 > What exactly prevents them from not using it?  They can download the
 > random translator and use it,

If they know where to find it. And it's a waste of time. And it makes things
more complex and tricky than they are.

 > they can use the copying hack.  Nothing prevents them from not usin
 > ssh.  It also makes them aware that it is insecrue, adding it hides
 > this fact

Just add a warning, then.

 >    Then remove ext2fs or the GNU Mach kernel, since they are broken.

 > Without ext2fs the system is completly unusable, without random the
 > system is quite usable.  Without GNU Mach you don't even have a
 > working system.

And ? What's the difference ? In both case we have the choice between a
bad solution, and no solution. With the current state of the system, a
bad solution is less worse.

 >    Then don't use it. But don't impose _your_ views to others.

 > I am not imposing any views on anyway, you can use the random
 > translator anyway you like.

You're making things harder and more complex than they should be, with no
real arguments except "_I_ prefer nothing than that".

 >    I don't care about "secure" random data right now since the system
 >    usable in a "real life" production computer, but I do care about
 >    having an ssh client (and server) that works with just an apt-get.

 > Copy /bin/bash to /dev/urandom then, use the translator, do what ever
 > you want.  Nobody is stoping you.

No, but you are making more complex just because you feel like making
things complex...

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@nerim.net - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org