Re: Induced crashes

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:50:10PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> ext2fs should be quite robust: Even pulling the plug at any time should not
> corrupt the filesystem beyond what e2fsck can repair.

In my experience it is almost that robust.
When I'm trying to build things the system repeatedly crashes.
I'm not sure what causes the crashes but I suspect there is some resource
leak that permits only limited amount of transactions on the leaky interface.
ie stopping Mutt which repeatedly checks my mail causes longer uptimes.
Similarily if I boot and start a build from scratch it usually crashes at
the about same point (for long compiles) or finishes. If I split a long
build into several steps I can usually finish it with reboots between
each step.

The problem of ext2 is in that it usually comes up in a relatively
coherent state (last few objects truncated) but from time to time
substantial part of the partition (even parts not related to the source
currently compiled) is all crosslinked (has inodes duped between different
files and metadata). Then I reboot again and run mke2fs instead.

--
Michal Suchanek
hramrach@centrum.cz