Re: alpha.gnu.org/../debian

* Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> [020526 10:05]:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 09:58:16AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > * Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@kemisten.nu> [020526 05:54]:
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > Documentation needs to be changed.  Can someone briefly please explain
> > the reasons for the changes?
>
> It has been debian/ before, and it only has been different during the
> transition.  If anybody documented debian-libio somewhere, they were
> doing a mistake in the first place.

Sorry, but it was not a mistake to actually tell people what was the
latest and greatest location when it moved.  I believe it was a mistake
to move the latest usable version from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-latest.tar.gz to
debian-staging or debian-libio since anyone new to the project was
immediately and unnecessarily confused.  This confusion was created for
well-intending new users.  It's likely that if they are new users and
trying to follow the documentation to the letter that a bad impression
of the project was formed that will not quickly be changed.  We had this
question coming up all the time on IRC for those users who had more of a
clue, but I suspect there's a higher ratio of unasked question:asked
question than we could possibly know about.

I will change the documentation I created on the wiki that was needed to
supplement Neal's guide during this transition period.  FYI:

http://www.vmlinux.org/twiki/bin/view/Hurd/InstallNotes

Regards,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>