Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

8<
Because you already said that ipchains is fine with you, I was reasonably
sure that it would be good enough from your point of view, although with
my GNU/Hurd developer hat on I am totally opposed to doing this.
This is because this will make Debian GNU/Hurd incompatible with
GNU/Hurd, and this is not what we want.  There is no chance that the
hack will ever make it into GNU/Hurd officially, and because I have to
change the server interface for this hack, we will break compatibility
back and forth when we do the real network stack.  But of course,
Debian doesn't need to care about such fine details of system
development.

8<

Ok, you got me lost here. (I've been trying to follow the reasoned arguements (and the others :) ) from both sides - honest :) )

Somebody (Jeroen IIRC) saying that dozens or more distros of GNU/Hurd (or whatever) was not the way to go, and here you are saying debian gnu/hurd is not gnu/hurd.

If there exists a 'GNU/Hurd' other than Debian, why the debate over Debian release demands? If not, why the worry about Debian GNU/Hurd becoming incompatible.

I take it from what you write here that Debian GNU/Hurd is not the 'official' version, simply a distro of an official version. Where is this official version? CVS? alpha.gnu.org?

Thanks in advance for helping me get less dumb :)

Philip