Re: dselect/apt & fsck

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:59:10PM -0500, Erik Hunger wrote:

> 	I started with the gnu-20011016.tar.gz package from
> alpha.gnu.org and upgraded everything in it to current.

  gnu-20011016.tar.gz doesn't contain Marcus Brinkmann's sysvinit
package.  It's just a dummy to fill in for sysvinit, which doesn't
exist for GNU (and is largely unecessary).  I've had trouble
installing packages from the fresh tarball, because bsdmainutils (I
think) depends sysvinit being installed.  If you're able to upgrade,
then you've gotten past this already, but just for good measure, what
is the output of

$ dpkg -l sysvinit

?

> I'm having problems with apt-get and dselect doing Bad Things to the
> /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin file. After using these I sometimes have
> e2fsck tell me that file has illegal blocks in an inode.

  What error do you get on invoking apt or dselect?  Also, just in
case, all the relevant partitions are under about 1 GB, right?

<snip>

> I'm running on a pentium 133 with 32MB of RAM if that helps.

  You'll almost certainly want a big swap partition with that
relatively small amount of ram, maybe a couple hundred MB. The Hurd
likes swap :)