Re: Can grub be made into a minikernel?

"B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> writes:

> Like I said, Netwinder nettrom can boot a kernel file
> from an ext2 partition, so if the grub shell could be
> linked with OSKit's linuxboot compatibility, it would
> effectively be like chainloading it ( I think ),

That's sounds right, place grub as /boot/vmlinuz or whatever the
nettrom tries to load.

I didn't understand why you would want to link it with oskit (the
current grub uses the bios to read the files and partitions it wants,
I think, and silo uses the functions in the boot prom), but if linking
with oskit helps, that's fine.

If you use oskit and the linuxboot compatibility you mention, perhaps
you can get away without writing any ARM assembler?

> Port Grub to arm... yep that's a good start. I'll try it
> and see how rough it looks.

Cool. Happy hacking!
/Niels