Re: Newbie question: X not working.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Bill Bland wrote:

> Hi Phil,
> 	Thanks for the advice but it dowsn't look like that's quite
> it.  It looks (to my naive newbie eye) like I'm missing another
> library (see below) that's stopping xlibs from being configured
> (if that makes any sense).  Anyway, here's the output of "apt-get install
> xlibs" so you can see for yourself.
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> Sorry, xlibs is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up xfonts-scalable (4.1.0-14) ...
> Running update-fonts-scale in Speedo font directory...done.
> Running update-fonts-dir in Speedo font directory...done.
> Running xftcache in Speedo font directory...xftcache: error while loading
shared libraries: libXft.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

libXft is in xlibs.

> dpkg: error processing xfonts-scalable (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of x-window-system-core:
>  x-window-system-core depends on xfonts-scalable; however:
>   Package xfonts-scalable is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing x-window-system-core (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  xfonts-scalable

This is not supposed to have any dependencies.

>  x-window-system-core

OK this does depend on xfonts-scalable

I suspect that other fonts depend on libXft, so probably this lib has been
installed and works.  First guess, not a dependency problem as such, but a
problem with xfonts-scalable.

Could you check that libXft.so.1 is on your system?

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz