Debian GNU/Hurd Status Update

Here's a quick update for where we seem to be at for hurd-i386.

I now have a machine at home with the Hurd running on it again, so I can
do some work when my brain is too tired for the RC bugs in glibc. ;)

The buildd should start spewing out packages this week.  Ryan and Nick
have agreed to keep up with the signing if I keep the box running.

glibc-2.3.1 seems to cut our uptime in half.  With glibc-2.2.x I could
build all of glibc natively, and with glibc-2.3 I can't.

I'm now running gnumach2 (oskit-mach) on all of my boxes.  I have longer
uptime with it than with gnumach 1, and gnumach won't run at all on my
laptop.  I'm also hoping that running oskit-mach will help me produce
bug reports for the above problem.

libdb4.0 still doesn't appear to be fixed by the Debian maintainer,
despite the cross-arch FTBFS bugs on it.  I'll compile it and post on
alpha.  Perhaps then we can actually get perl-5.8.  *sigh*

It appears that the gcc-3.2 transition is imminent.  This means I'm not
racing to recompile the various c++ apps that are spread across
different versions.  They'll get picked up by the buildd in their own
time.  (Sorry, Philip!)

My current three hurd-ish priorities are 1) Getting and keeping the
buildd running, 2) Finishing the Hurd automake stuff so that it can be
reviewed, 3) Tracking down the bug in the glibc testsuite.

Most of my time for the next.. mmm.  let's guess 2 weeks *g* will still
be on Debian's glibc package.  The end is in sight for most of its
problems, though.

If folks are looking for porting projects over their winter/summer
breaks.  Please let me know.  We're not running short of them.

Did I miss anything?

Tks,
Jeff Bailey