Re: apt-get install emacs21 hangs machine

>> On 31 Jul 2002, Russell Senior wrote:
>>

>> > I am new to playing with Hurd, so please forgive my stupidities.
>> I > recently installed the hurd-H4-CD1.iso on a PII-400 box with 64
>> meg of > RAM.  When I try to 'apt-get install emacs21' things start
>> out okay > but then when installing .el files the box freezes.  I
>> apologize, I am > off-site now and don't have the precise message
>> in front of me.  Is > this a known problem?  Suggestions?  Thanks!
>> >
>> > -- > Russell Senior ``The two chiefs turned to each other.

James>  I don't believe the box is quite frozen, but there is a
James> problem with the package that is currently in the debian
James> archive for emacs21 on GNU/Hurd.  A fixed package was on alpha,
James> but I think that got lost, hopefully emacs21 will get autobuilt
James> soon.

Just to followup, here's what I am seeing.  After a hang, I had
rebooted via reset switch, and then tried again):

  # apt-get install emacs21
  E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
  the problem
  # dpkg --configure -a
  Setting up emacs21 (21.2-2) ...
  emacs-install emacs21
  emacsen-common: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs21
  emacsen-common: byte-compiling for emacs21
  Fatal error (11).

I had run screen and had a separate "window" going.  I was initially
able to switch to the other "window", but when I came back I perhaps
disasterously pressed Control-C and that seems to have torqued things
pretty well.  Now I can't seem to switch "windows" any more.

Obviously I did the wrong thing and can presumably learn the right
thing to do in the future.  What _should_ I have done?

Also, when I tried to build emacs-21.2 from source using gcc-3.0 (that
I got from a .deb on the H4-CD1 iso, I think) I got a failure at:

   [...]
   gcc-3.0 -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
   -I. -I/home/russell/src/emacs-21.2/src -g -O2 dispnew.c
   dispnew.c: In fuction `update_frame_1':
   dispnew.c:5117: structure has no member named `__bufp'
   dispnew.c:5117: structure has no member named `__buffer'
   make[1]: *** [dispnew.o] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/russell/src/emacs-21.2/src'

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr@aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible