Re: debootstrap (sort of) working

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:50:33PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> Made some fixes to debootstrap, and it's now
> (mostly) able to install the GNU system.

Somewhere on my disk I have a port of debootstrap, too, which had some
changes by me I thought were smart at that time.  I just have to find it!
I would like to send it to you, and you can see yourself if there is
anything in there that helps you.

Ok, I went throught my zillion 1gb partitions and found it on hdc6
eventually.  The diff is below.  Note that I did this when I was bored a
while, but I wasn't bored long enough to actually get it done, do any amount of
testing or whatever.  It's pre-libio, too, so the package lists needs to be
updated with what is in the tar ball of the day.

Your patch is completely obfuscated by using -N against a build tree.  You
really need to produce a clean version of the patch, that just shows the
actual changes to the code.

> I don't know how should it be integrated
> with the native-install script to do
> a complete installation, the debootstrap
> configuration phase fails (once inside
> the chroot) but it leaves you a
> configurablable system.

Simple:  The debootstrap configuration phase shouldn't fail, and it should
create the devices, and set up the basic translators like native install
does.  About actual integration, you need to talk to AJ.  In some subthread
of some thread we discussed the device things, and we concluded we would
simply do it in a script for now rather than a tar file, on the Hurd.
This or another script also do all the other Hurdish things in
native-install (but not the fstab thingie or whatever else of cheap
dinstall-replacement hacks I put there 1998).

Then cross-install and native-install will be obsolete and dpkg-hurd
unneeded.  I am looking forward to it :)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de