Re: lacking KDSETMODE

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:08:38PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On GNU/Linux, a command like this:
>
> ioctl(tty_fd, KDSETMODE, KD_GRAPHICS);
>
> would turn tty_fd into graphic mode. I can't find
> KD* ioctls on GNU/Hurd, what is it suposed to do
> here?

You won't find any of such stuff.  If we add such interfaces, they will only
in exceptional cases clone the ioctl interfaces of other systems.  The usual
way to do this is to add RPC interfaces to serves, and to use them directly.

I don't know what turning a tty fd into graphic mode means.  If it means to
turn the virtual console related to tty fd from text mode into graphic mode,
then the Hurd console server would be the place to do it, if at all.

The Hurd console server is not written yet, though :)  And the version I
have started and which I will finish is actually only a first cut at it.  If
you followed Rolands and my discussion, you will see that a different way to
cut it will have to be implemented to make it really awesome.  In any way,
the console server would still be the place to put this functionality into.

However.  I think it is maybe better to design a framebuffer console from
ground up, seperately from the text console server, and keep them seperate.
You would still be able to start both servers, and attach to text and
graphic virtual consoles from your display client that would attach to both
console servers.  I have not thought it through yet, there are many details
that need to be covered, but maybe this inspires you to think about it.

> Also looked at the X code but the only "equivalent"
> i've found is closing the /dev/kdb device, i
> guess it's unrelated :)

Entirely :)

X accesses the hardware directly, like the console server.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de