Re: Rejecting part of HURD PAM patch--help appreciated

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 10:51:25PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> [SNIP: Discussions about modified behaviour]
> I don't have time to proof read it [the rejected patch] right now,
> but what sticks out is that getline is only available in the GNU C
> library, so that is a potential incompatibility. An autoconf check
> and a replacement function in a helper library could fix this.

Getline is a really useful function. I agree with Marcus' suggestion
to completely redo the upstream implementation for all architectures,
the result will be a lot easier to maintain.

Today my autoconf-fu is weak, so I have no configure.in patchs. But
I have at least a getline() replacement suggestion (GPL:ed version)
that can be made available via this suggested configure check for
hosts lacking GLibC.

http://cvs.cvsnt.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsnt/lib/getline.c?annotate=1.3&sortby=author

It's a start, I guess.

Regards