Re: [Patch #326] Hurd cannot be compiled with GCC 3.1 because of #pragma weak

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:53:42AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> [...] having the a later version of GCC than the rest of Debian
> brings us trouble.

> See the build problems in Debian packages related to GCC 3.0. Fixing
> them is not our job but we won't have them in untill Woody is
> released.

> I don't know what could be done to prevent this.

I made the call that it would be less annoying to live with bugs from
gcc-3.1 compilations then it would be to have to go through another
ABI bump in 6 weeks (The rest of Debian will apparently all move to
gcc-3.1.1 when it's released).  I certainly still beleive this to be
the case.

The biggest problem with an ABI bump is that the workload essentially
rests on one or two people to guide through the process.  Bug fixing
can be distributed over a number of people.  Also, we are only out of
sync bwith the rest of Debian for a couple months this way.  If we had
to organize another bump, I can see us not moving until this Fall
(time | emotional energy | etc).

Any problem we encounter in the Hurd with gcc-3.1 is one we'd have to
solve anyway, we may as well do it now.

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.