Re: Distributing unreleased ports on CD (was: firewalling tools)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Philip Charles wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 May 2002, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > Quoting the Debian FAQ:
> > > 13.1 Can I make and sell Debian CDs?
> > >
> > >    Go ahead. You do not need permission to distribute anything we have
> > >    *released*, [...]
> > >
> > > We got *very* angry when some CD distributor started to sell "Debian 1.0"
> > > Do we have different standards for unreleased ports?

FYI, the Infomagic Debian 1.0 was the first Debian "release" I tried to
install.  I still have the CDs somewhere.

> > > unstable does not even have consistent dependencies. If only there
> > > were a testing distribution for hurd-i386...
> >
> > Don't worry.  From the head of the README.
> >
> > *CAUTION*
> > These are alpha installation discs of a developing operating system.  Use
> > at your own risk and take the proper precautions.
>
> Yes, but wouldn't everybody prefer that you distribute CDs of testing instead
> of unstable, or CDs of stable instead of testing, if they were available?

Absolutely.  But please do not think that the existence of installation
CDs means that the Hurd is further on in its development than it is.
Debian boot-floppies had to be crudely butchered and it is a tribute to
its authors that this could be done.  debian-cd is very flexible and so
less butchery was needed.  When Debian GNU/Hurd is released the
installation CDs will be produced by scripts that will have no resemblance
to what I use.

The CDs are produced as a service to the Hurd developers and would-be
developers.  They also give the curious hacker a chance to see what is
going on.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz