Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:36:35AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> I can understand that certain packages, like inet-utils for example,
> cannot be ported to Debian GNU/Hurd and thus need to be packaged
> separately.

Actually, the GNU inetutils package has the same roots as the Linux netkit
package.  But while the BSD netkit only runs on BSD, and the Linux netkit
only runs on GNU/Linux, the GNU inetutils package runs on GNU/Hurd,
GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, QNX and Cygwin32 (all of these are frequently
tested, although I think QNX and Solaris were not tested for the next
release).

While I only did a quick-hack packaging of GNU inetutils for the Hurd, Jeff
Bailey has dramatically improved it for Debian in general, and I am forward
for his inetutils packages so I can install them on my Debian GNU/Linux
system (he is waiting for the woody freeze to end before uploading the new
versions).

> But that does not go for the filesystem. Debian GNU/Hurd
> will still be Debian; If GNU doesn't like that, then GNU must make
> it's own Hurd-distribution, and not try to change Debian.

I hope nobody forgets that I was a Debian member over a year before I got
my GNU account.  You make it sound as if there is a hard line with Debian
on the one side, and GNU on the other, but there is no such line.  Many
people are members of GNU and Debian, including, but not limited to, a lot
of the Hurd people (including its two major authors).

But I am not shy to try to change Debian where I think the change is an
improvement.  And I am not shy to give Debian a personality that makes
Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd people happy.  At least I will try to.

I am a bit surprised about all those "if you want to be different, go away"
to stay Debian GNU/Linux solely and only worry about that, or reach a broader
level of abstraction.  While the inclusion of Debian GNU/Hurd might just have
been an overseight, the inclusion of the BSD ports makes it more of a pattern
in my eyes, so the decision already seems to have been made.  People should
not be terribly surprised that catering for three different operating systems
requires new solutions to old problems than catering for one operating system
does.

Such dramatic developments are stressing and require patience on everyone's
side.  But if we are determined, we can do it, and hopefully without getting
in your way personally and in each others way generally too much.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de