Re: J0 CDs

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:09:39PM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> hmm, bandwidth isn't a problem, I have no direct connection
> for apt but I have a friend in an internet cafe who'll
> download and burn the ISOs.

Lovely.  Given that amount of work, you may want to contact Philip and
possibly buy a subscription to the CDs or something like that.  We're
in a fairly fast paced growing period right now, and not having apt
could be a major annoyance.

> Are there any quick tests I should/could do?
> cross-compile gnumach and try boot it with grub? (is that
> easy/possible/worthwhile)

Gnumach on it's own isn't terribly useful.  (Less so than the Linux
kernel all on its own).

> It'll take me a few days to get the CDs but I'll report all problems
> & successes.  I have two machines at home to play with, neither have
> any snazzy hardware, they're 3 and 5 years old.

Sounds perfect.  The hurd isn't yet friendly to snazzier machines (I
was looking at an all USB machine a few months ago, and had to settle
for one with a legacy port for the keyboard.  A few people have
expressed interest in USB support, but I haven't seen any indication
that it's being worked on).  Also, having 1gb or more of RAM is also
not a good idea (sadly, since I had a machine with that much for the
buildd).  All in good time, though.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.