Re: Can grub be made into a minikernel?

"B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> writes:

> Except, Netwinder's nettrom seems only able
> to boot a linux kernel. No multiboot capability
> that I am aware of.

I don't really know all this boot-time magic, but my guess is that you
need to

1. Port Grub to ARM. Adding support for multiple platforms and
   multiple cpu:s to Grub will be an interesting and useful thing to
   do, but perhaps non-trivial. Personally, I'd like to see a Grub
   port to sparc, reusing some of the SILO assembler code, but I don't
   have the time (and perhaps not the skill either) for that.

2. Either replace the netwinders bootloader with the new ARM Grub, or
   figure out some way to "chain load" Grub from the netwinder's own
   bootloader. The later is *not* making Grub a "mini-kernel", it just
   means fitting grub into a different booting sequence, in the same
   place as the linux-kernel in the ordinary netwinder boot sequence.

Regards,
/Niels