Re: H3 first reboot after install failed

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:34:46PM +0100, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> was heard to say:
> >   And how do you get things into the disk image?  Last I checked,
> > this required either complex hackery to mount it as a block device,
> > or burning a CD-ROM of the data.
> If you would have read the mailing list archives (this applies to everyone)
> then you would have know that I and including someone else (forgot the name
> of that person) have posted a small guide [1] on the subject, and there is
> no "complex hackery" involved.  As all recent distributions of GNU/Linux
> can mount loop back devices.

  I have DONE it (maybe even using the above as a guide), and you have to
futz around with offsets into block images.  It's ugly and error-prone.
Furthermore, if you want to download any additional files (for
instance, packages other than base), you have to do it by hand in Linux,
then copy them into the loop-mounted partition.  (remember, btw, that
you can't safely mount it from inside plex86 and Linux at the same time,
so you have to shut the virtual machine down to do this)

  I'm sure if your major spare-time project is Hurd, this is both
feasible and acceptable, but I have other stuff to do.  Anyway, the
bochs packages in incoming/new seem to work after recompiling them with
network support and doing some one-time futzing.  (slow, but I suppose
that can't be helped)
  Hopefully plex86 will import the bochs code once it's a little more
mature.

  Daniel

|             "I've struggled with reality for thirty-five years,             |
|              but I'm glad to say that I finally won."                       |
|               -- _Harvey_                                                   |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/