Re: Added Memory; Automatic Reboot

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:35:53AM -0800, Mike Warner wrote:
> Had H2 working pretty well in 768MB.  Pumped up the box to 1.5GB so I can run
> a VmWare machine from Debian Gnu/Linux. Now, when I boot Hurd, it reboots
> automatically in the early stages.
>
> What's the story here? Can I get around this or am I screwed?

The GNU Mach kernel has a limitation on the amount of memory installed
(that results from mapping it into the addressable memory space).
This limit is not easily overcome, sorry.

You can probably deactivate the upper memory by hacking your kernel, there
was some discussion about this on one of the lists some time ago.

Or you can send the superfluous sticks to a friendly Hurd developer short on
memory :) [just kidding]

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de