Re: Not enough entropy in RNG

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Weren't we just told that the plists would be for inessential things?
> And now, unlike all existing inode state, they are going to affect how
> things work dynamically!

I'm quite sure I haven't said that they should be used for
"inessential" things.

I did say that properties should be used only for things that you
don't want or need plain cp to copy, to avoid the "resource forks
suck"-problems. And I think Marcus' examples are in this category,
"sample bit rate", "set/clear dtr", "set/clear raw mode". You wouldn't
want cp between to audio devices to automatically copy such properties
(ooops, you might actually want that ;-), but it's *not* something I
would expect plain cp to do).

And then properties for inodes and properties on channels may be
orthogonal issues. Will a channel always be associated with some node
in the filesystem? If not, they *have* to be different.

By the way, what do you think about emacs' text properties? There are
some hacks to store text properties with a file (which I have never
used), but they're mostly used for "dynamic" things, like
emacs-internal syntax markup or display hacking.

Regards,
/Niels