Re: Modified Cry for Help

Yes there is some inconsistency there. Here is a
snippet of the problem:

Setting this up isn't hard at all. It always is placed in /servers/socket/2, because that's where glibc will look for it. So be sure to install it this way: settrans /servers/socket/1 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 OPTIONS, where OPTIONS specify your IP address, netmask and the gateway (if any). Only one network interface is supported currently. Later, you can also set further interfaces like eth1 and so on with the same command.

Be careful, I think that /servers/socket/1 is the "auth" server so don't kill it or your system will be severely brain dead.

I ran into this myself. I think that "2" is the correct one to use. So I believe this is what one does:

# settrans -g /servers/socket/2
# settrans /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=192.168. 123.456 -netmask=255.255.255.0

And of course add your gateway if you use a router or cable modem or something. The above would be
well suited to a small network running on an ether hub or switch. My Hurd is temporarily unbootable due to
to a scsi card switch so I'm going from memory here.

- Doug

Errno Mach wrote:
RE:  my request for help configuring networking

I am looking at

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-server#pfinet

If anyone has any "heads-up", thanks.

Mike

Running "/hurd/pfinet --help" gives:

Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.019
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Usage: pfinet [OPTION...]
Interface-specific options before the first interface specification apply to
the first following interface; otherwise they apply to the previously specified
interface.

  -i, --interface=DEVICE     Network interface to use

 These apply to a given interface:
  -a, --address=ADDRESS      Set the network address
  -g, --gateway=ADDRESS      Set the default gateway
  -m, --netmask=MASK         Set the netmask
  -s, --shutdown             Shut it down

  -?, --help                 Give this help list
      --usage                Give a short usage message

Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional
for any corresponding short options.

Report bugs to bug-hurd@gnu.org