From: Patrick Strasser [mailto:past@sbox.tugraz.at]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 9:01 AM
To: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: httpfs what is it?

Ondrej Hurt wrote:

> > hai
> >
> > I have seen the ftpfs that is really a nice idea and something which
> > people in *nix world can't even think of.
>
> I believe they can include it as a new filesystem in the kernel.
>
> Ondrej

The difference is the translator principle.

First the fs-driver has to be compiled into the kernel. This can only be
done
by root, as you have to install the new kernel and reboot, two things
you don't
want to do very often in a production system.

Second only root can mount. For example a ftpfs mount of a certain
server can
be usefull, but usually you want to access any ftp server anonymously
respectively some special servers with a personal login with your
password. I't
obvious more usefull to mount your ftpfs yourself. (anonymous ftp would
be
elegant accomplished by a ftpfs-tranl. stacked on a hostmultiplexer.)

Third you are completely in user-space. A fs crash should not be a big
problem... just restart your translator (is done at you next fs access).

Patrick
--
Engineers motto:  cheap  good  fast    choose any two
Patrick Strasser < pstrasser at bigfoot dot de >