re: too much RAM issue

> I have a 1st Mainboard (FIC) AZ11 Motherboard.
> This motherboard has the following features:
>
> Socket A (in my case has Duron 850MHz in it)
> VIA KT133 Chipset
> AGP4X
>
> I have 768Meg of RAM.

> However I too suffered the same "panic linux_init" unable to allocate
> contiguous memory error.

> Now the interesting thing is that under Linux Mandrake 8.1, upon running
>GRUB,
> and performing the displaymem command, I get:

> grub> displaymem
> EISA Memory BIOS Interface is present
> Address Map BIOS Interface is present
> Lower memory: 640K, Upper memory (to first chipset hole): 3072K
> [Address Range Descriptor entries immediately follow (values are 64-bit)]
>   Usable RAM:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0x0,
>      Length:   0 X 4GB + 655360 bytes
>   Reserved:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0xa0000,
>      Length:   0 X 4GB + 393216 bytes
>   Usable RAM:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0x100000,
>      Length:   0 X 4GB + 3145728 bytes
>
>grub>

>***: quite obviously there is a hole at 3Meg. *****
>Linux can deal with that, but Hurd cannot currently. (without the patch
>where
>the test is ignored).
>Perhaps on various BIOSes this hole is created by the BIOS when a certain
>amount of memory is added, or perhaps the AGP card relocates video ram there
>when the system ram zooms up past say 512meg??
>I can only guess at the moment. I will try dropping to 512meg and 256meg,
>and
>also look at BIOS CMOS options.

Further to the above, I tried and failed to make a difference through the
CMOS settings -
I enabled "OS2" mode on my Award BIOS
reduced AGP window to 32meg from 64meg
all to no avail.

Reducing memory from 768meg to 512meg did the trick tho.

NOTE - the above printout from grub> displaymem is a red herring.
The output is exactly the same in a working system!

By the way, I found that installing all the debs from Hinner EDV's CDs
(Unofficial hurd-F3-main and extra) using the cross-install did not give a
working system, I also had to (from CD1) untar (tar -zxf) the files from the
tarball over the top.
I had previously renamed servers.boot-dpkg-new to servers.boot, but I think
there might be a correctly named servers.boot in the tarball.

Jeff Davies
jeff@llandre.freeserve.co.uk