Re: httpfs, tarfs --help

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:05:25PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Rajeev> I think it would use the WEBDAV extentions of the HTTP
>     Rajeev> protocol or something there abouts
>
> What is that?

See RFC2518. It's a set of extensions to HTTP which allow it to be used
as more or less a full filesystem for the purpose of "distributed
authoring".

You don't necessarily need WebDAV, though; you could mount an HTTP
server on a translator and use it read-only, as long as it happens to
output directory listings in a format you can parse (or as long as you
don't mind not being able to list directories). You could even write
files if the server supported the PUT method. While WebDAV is rather
nice in some ways, I don't think it's a good idea to make a
general-purpose httpfs depend upon it.