Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 03:44:49PM -0500, Bill Abt wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2001 18:03 pm, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure how portable NGPT is. Also, we already have a partial
>
> Actually, being based originally on GNU Pth, it's pretty portable.  There are
> very few dependencies on Linux except for one module.

That's nice.

> > > implementation of pthreads, it's located at
> > > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/pthreads/
>
> There's nothing there right now....

All code is in CVS, there isn't much more.

> > > if you're interested. Most of
> > > the things missing here are hurd and mach specific things as signalling,
> > > stack allaction and some other things. Those things also need to be done
> > > with NGPT.
>
> Are you saying that this stuff is still missing from the kernel?  I certainly
> hope not ;-)  Userlevel stack allocation is handled within NGPT already.
> Looking at the threading interface posted on the Hurd website, I don't think
> it will take much to port NGPT over to Hurd.

I'm not sure at which threating interface you are looking. Remind that
hurd isn't a traditional unix-kernel, but a colleciton of servers
running on a microkernel (mach for now). Mach doesn't have support for
signals, so that's done in glibc using a special signal thread.

> > > AFAIK Roland wants a long-term implementation which is thightly with
> > > glibc, with sysdeps for the Hurd and linux. I don't know if NGPT matches
> > > that requirement.
>
> We're already tightly coupled with glibc (but not in the build itself) and as
> I said earlier, sysdeps for the Hurd should be a snap...

If you want to volunteer porting NGPT I'm not going to stop you. I also
don't know what Roland's opinion is, I like to hear that.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org