Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:52:21PM -0800, Ian Duggan wrote:
> Something like this sounds great. We have a lot of packages waiting in
> the wings whose major dependency is a working pthreads implementation.
>
> Additionally we would need a cthreads wrapper around pthreads for the
> packages that use cthreads.

No, as marcus already said we are going to switch completely at once.
AFAIK everything in cthreads is also in pthreads (with exception of
implies, but there is a GNU extension for that in the current pthreads
implemention). If I'm right, changing from cthreads to pthreads is
basically just changing the cthread_*() calls to pthread_*() calls.

> The talk I've seen on the list had wanted a portable pthreads
> implementation that was actually part of glibc, and integrated with the
> glibc signal code. I don't know anything about the details of this or
> how it would work.

Because mach doesn't have support for signals like a normal un*x kernel,
we have to implement that using a signal thread. How this works isn't
documented anywhere else than in the comments of the glibc code.

> I've also heard rumblings on the list of other people working on a
> pthreads project, but the bits of information are few and far between,
> so I don't know what the status of that might be.

I am hacking on a pthreads project in my spare time. Around Christmas
and new year I should have more time to hack on it. For the people
interested in it, you can find the details here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/pthreads. The CVS repository is the
only savannah thing used. All broken and not yet implemented parts are
marked with XXX/FIXME comments.

> I see that the license for NGPT is LGPL, so that's good.
>
> I see that the goals from this page
> (http://oss.software.ibm.com/pthreads/) also include an M:N mapping of
> sorts. This would potentially be very useful in the L4 port of the Hurd
> which I am quietly working on as well.

AFAIK this isn't needed anymore with the new not yet released L4.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org