network configuration

I have followed the Hurd Installation instructions as provided at:

http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html

and

http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html

Everything worked fine up until the network configuration. I issue the command "settrans -acpfg /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --address=myip --gateway=mygateway --netmask=mynetmask", and always receive the following error:

"/hurd/pfinet: eth0: (os/device) no such device
"settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"

Do I need to do something first to create the eth0 device? I was unable to locate any documentation on this matter, and any help would be appreciated.

Charles