Re: a non gnu hurd package

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 06:13:35PM -0700, James Morrison wrote:

>   Over time there have been many things done on GNU/Hurd that are not
> part of the hurd debian package.  It would be nice to get all these
> program in one place.  eg shadowfs {u}random translator colortext

When those programs actually work to our satisfaction, they will go
into the Hurd package itself (simplifies the build process).
I am not yet aware of a case where a desireable program was not included.

Of course, sometimes there is need for a program although it does not
qualify for inclusion in the Hurd CVS archive.  Then we can still add it
to the Debian package (as was done with the kbd/mouse translator).

colortext does not provide any useful functionality yet, but will be an
essential part of the Hurd package.  urandom/random works but there
is no entropy source yet, but when there is it should definitely be part
of the Hurd package as well.  shadowfs is a feature we also want to have in
the Hurd source itself.  However, shadowfs is still under development.
I am sure Moritz will tell us when it is ready to be checked in.

We can talk about each case individually.