Re: German translation of the FAQ

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:42:34PM +0200, Lars Weber wrote:
> Before it is uploaded, however, it would be nice if some german speaking
> people could read it over and tell me whether they they think it's
> acceptable or not.

I will go over it at a later time, but about the nomenclature:

Please loose the explanation with Herde.  A joke is not funny anymore if it
is explained ;)  Seriously, if anybody is really interested in what it means
he can be expected to look at the english words and figure it out himself.

I never use an article with Hurd in German, it just sounds awkward, and it
is not apparant to me what the "best" article would be.  So I just leave it
away and also don't use "the".  Just remove Das from Das "Hurd", and "the"
whereever you used it.  I could probably be convinced to use a proper German
article with "Hurd", but the english "the" is not the one to use in German.
(No article sounds best to me, and I used it in various publications
already, but I am open to opinions of linguistic research on incorporation
of english acronyms in the German language ;)

(Thinking about it now, I think the ambiguousity of the Hurd as the set of
Hurd servers and the Hurd project, eg between plural and singular, can only
be expressed in German by "die Hurd".  "das Hurd" sounds is if you really
wanted to say "das Hurd System" or so, and "der Hurd" just sounds arbitrary
to me. "die Hurd" has a nice feminine touch, something that would be genuine
to the German usage and not be in the English original name, which might be
distorting).

I think for the attribution for the translators you should just put Hennings
and yours name without explaining in more detail who did what.  That you are
the maintainer will be expressed in Neals translators contact list.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de