Re: Debian GNU/Hurd/Windows?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:53:36AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Lately there has been some speaking about the porting effort of
> Debian GNU/Windows (or whatever the correct name is).
>
> Could it be possible to port the Hurd to Windows? I mean, to make
> Windows work as a microkernel that provides access to hardware
> and the Hurd providing a full UN*X kernel replacement.
>
> If we manage to accomplish full back-ward compliance with the
> Windows hardware API, and adapt the exec server to use the
> microkernel when the user wants to execute win binaries, afaik
> the whole Debian GNU/Hurd port would work directly on Hurd/Win
> without modification.
>
> While due to strong performance loss this would not be, if working,
> a reason for the Debian GNU/Windows port to stop, it'd be a great
> thing since GNU/Win could never provide a 100% UN*X compliant
> environment.
>
> Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge to implement this myself, but well
> here's my idea.. if someone wants to take it, i wish a lot of luck.

In *theory* you can do alot of things.  In theory you could turn linux
into a small rubber dingy[1], but that doesn't mean it's particularly
plausable ;)

More likely you'd run hurd in plex86 or vmware, giving it a very
distinct seperation from the host.  Attempting to do more would be a
project like wine or cygwin.  And I don't see how hurd could provide a
more "unix compliant" environment than they do.

And if somebody were to attempt it they'd probably spend more time
reverse engineering the windows kernel and working around bugs than
they would doing the actual porting.

[1] - I'd love to hear that theory!

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus