Re: Debian GNU or Debian GNU/Hurd?

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:00:22PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > if you really want "the" to be part of the name "GNU Hurd", it should
> > actually be "The GNU Hurd".  Otherwise it's just part of the rest of
> > those sentences.  (And if you say the "the" isn't important enough
> > to be capitalized, I propose that it isn't important enough to be a
> > necessary part of the official name.)
>
> "the" isn't a part of the name, the point is that the name is the sort
> of part of speech which takes "the"--unlike proper names in general,
> which don't get "the".

This is off-topic, but does it annoy anyone else that some medical
offices have lately taken to using the title "Doctor" as though it
were a proper name?

For example, the receptionist at my daughter's pediatrician's office
always says things like "Doctor will be with you shortly", or
"I'll tell Doctor you are here now."

I think this should be "The Doctor will be with you" or
"Dr. Smith will be with you soon."

:-)

-Brent