YAFTI (Yet Another First-Time Install)

I've just downloaded the lovely big tarball (it is the same size and md5 as 20010308 so I'm guessing thats what it is :) and am now having trouble doing the first boot of the hurd.
I have: (using Matthew Vernon's install instructions)
 * Made the half-gig partition (/dev/hda8)
 * untarred it using --same-owner and -xvpzf
 * dd'd a grub disk
 * booted it using (hd0,7), root=hd0s8
 * ... and had it hung right after the search for scsi devices.

Which was anti-climatic, and somewhat annoying :-D

It detected my HDD (IDE) properly, it seems. It complained that two IOs were in use loading EATA (? i think that was the name of it, a bit hard to do a screen capture :). It gets to the SCSI '0 hosts' bit (which is right, I don't use SCSI), and just.... sits there.... for aaaagggggeeeessss.... then I hit 'reboot'.

Any ideas?
My system:
 * Athlon TB 700, 128MB ram
 * 30GB hdd, 300MB+[2GB+16GB+10GB+500MB+160MB+100MB] or thereabouts ([]'s are for the extended partition)
The 500MB one is hurd's
The mobo is an Asus A7V (w/ an ATA-100 controller, so it *may* be annoying it, but its not in use ATM)

not that this stuff is likely to be a problem, but:
 * SBLive
 * nvidia Geforce256
 * and thats about it.

No NICs, no SCSI, AFAIK no IRQ sharing.

Is it trying to do a partition check (which is what happens in linux right after the scsi stuff, at least on my machine).
Would compiling from source fix this? Possibly?

Thanks very much;

mibus

--
Robert Mibus <mibus@bigpond.com>
Civilization, as we know it, will end sometime this evening.