Re: Update...

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 10:10:35AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> >> Why again did you want a new dpkg?
> >
> > Mostly to see if I could get libstdc++2.10-dev to install without
> > complaining about libc6-dev not being installed.  libc0.2-dev appears to
> > have libc6-dev in the 'provides' line, so I figured it was probably a bug
> > in dpkg.
>
> That's the spirit Jeff! unfortunately, no released dpkg gets it right.
> The problem is that it is a versioned dependency (>= 2.something),
> and this can't be fulfilled with an unversioned provides in current
> dpkgs. We have to wait. (Or help Ben fixing it).

Hmmm.  It's sort of tangential to my current task, so I think that I
won't do this now.  Maybe after I magically fix the networking problem. =)

> > It's not a big deal.  What I do now is dpkg -i g++*dev libstdc++*dev for
> > the duration of any compile, and then remove them after if I need to do
> > any further upgrades.
>
> You can add a dummy package entry for libc6-dev with a proper
> Version line in /var/lib/dpkg/status (The package equivs is
> intended to automate such pseudo packages).

Thanks for the tip.  It appears to be happy now - dpkg even recovered
nicely with "dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package
`libc6-dev' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed."

Back to hacking, thanks!

--
Anyone who sais "Sticks and stones may break my bones but
words will never hurt me" has never had a dictionary thrown