Re: Is dpkg still broken wrt versioned depends/provides ...

Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> wrote:
>~# dpkg -p libc0.2-dev | grep Provides:
>Provides: libc-dev, libc6-dev
>~# dpkg -p libstdc++2.10-dev | grep Depends:
>Depends: libstdc++2.10 (>= 1:2.95.2-10), libc6-dev (>= 2.1.95), g++ (>=
>1:2.95.2-10)
>
>Wasn't this supposed to be fixed in newer dpkg versions (mine is
>1.7.2)?

It was checked into CVS but then backed out because (IIRC) it broke apt.
I think apt-0.4 is going to fix that.

>Is this even strictly a bug in dpkg? All I know is that it's really
>fscking up the hurd port.

Well, it should only be a problem for Architecture: all packages with
versioned dependencies on libc*, and libstdc++2.10-dev is Architecture:
any. It should be fixable in that package. Architecture: all packages
would just have to specify alternatives.

(The alpha people should have run across the same thing already, because
if I remember right they have libc6.1-dev, so I don't think it will be a
fatal problem for the Hurd port.)