Re: Weird networking

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:36:13AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > A telnet connection into the system now freezes after a very short period
> > of time (I haven't got a reliable way to check it).  Normally I can't get
> > past a login root and 'ls' before it hangs.  Console access seems fine.
> > Downloading files seems fine.
>
> At university, I had trouble with ftp, which gets stuck often. But http
> seems to work better. It's very spurious. But I am not sure what is to
> blame. (It would be nice if you could check out and compile an older version
> of the Hurd, let's say from August 2000. If you can't, I will compile one
> for you.

Ah, that wasn't a lot of work for me, so here it is:

http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/pfinet-2000-08-29.gz

That's a pfinet that doesn't contain any of my code, so if this is also
broken, I can sleep with the good feeling that I am probabky not to blame,
and with the bad feeling that I have no idea what this funkiness is about.

Of course, this might be a change in some library used by pfinet as well,
but apart from a small thing in libshouldbeinlibc nothing changed there
since august last year.

(The huge changes have been in the store based translators).

I suspect that this is still from the huge pfinet rewrite by Roland.
Wish I had a network at home to make such test. With regards to gnumach: I
would be very surprised to see the bug caused there, but you might want to
make sure by downgrading to a gnumach pre feb 2000 (that's when we started
to compile it with gcc). Hope you have such a binary around if you want to
try that...

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de