Re: Different roots for each process possible?

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:33:48AM +0100, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> In plan9 it is possible for any process to change its namespace
> (i.e. a kind of directory tree) and that of its children independently.
> Is such a thing possible in HURD, too? How? Do you need a
> translator on / ?
>
> --
> Stefan Karrmann

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure of its feasibility though.
In my understanding in Hurd the filesystem shares the namespace with
ports (i.e. not every port is associated with a file, but every file
is associated with a unique file port). So in order to make some
application think that / is another directory, there has to be a mechanism
that intercepts filesystem name lookups and returns the appropriate port.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong).

File name lookups usually happen through the *fs translators so to support
it universally one would have to insert an intermediary between a name
lookup call and the translator call back.

Igor