Mouse Problem (was Re: ./MAKEDEV kbd failing)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:57:10 -0800
David Gardner <dgardner@csusb.edu> wrote:

> I had the same problem, I assumed that it was because I was on a
> laptop. Is your system a laptop as well?
so, cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV kbd after upgrading the 'hurd' package works
thanks to James Morrison =), now I have a mouse problem...

the installation instructions written by Neal tells me that I need to
run:

# settrans /dev/mouse /hurd/mouse --device=com0 --protocol=microsoft

to set my mouse. I've already created /dev/com0 and stuff, but there's
no /dev/mouse and the translator complains about this, I thought it
could be a link to /dev/com0, but then I did settrans with /dev/mouse
being a link and then all programs started to hang, when I tried to
settrans -fga /dev/mouse hurd (or gnumach) crashed and I had to reset
the computer...

When rebooting there was incosistency on the filesystem owned by the Hurd.

So my question is, what is /dev/mouse, how do I get it/create it.
My suggestion is this should be added to the manual.

You're working great on the system! I am seeing quite a lot of progress
since I last tried it some time ago, thanks!

Ah... is there some text to read on what is a "Shadow filesystem"
that is used to justify /usr being a link to /?

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |