Re: Missing nic drivers in gnumach compilation?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:46:35PM +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> /proj/gnumach-20011013-1$ MIG=i386-gnu-mig CC=i386-gnu-gcc ./configure
> --enable-floppy --enable-ide --enable-ne2000 --enable-via-rhine

Mmmh.  In my i386/README.Drivers it wants --enable-viarhine (no second dash).
Is this a bug in the README?

> node@insanity:~/proj/gnumach-20011013-1$ grep VIA_RHINE i386/linux/device-drivers.h
> #define CONFIG_VIA_RHINE 1

This (and that it was compiled) seems to indicate the enable option was accepted,
though.  If you want to be extra sure, use objdump --syms kernel and objdump -d kernel
to verify that via_rhine_probe is included and called by ethif_probe.  I
have no reason to believe otherwise, though.

> node@insanity:~/proj/gnumach-20011013-1$ cat /mnt/anx/root/klog
> GNUmach 1.2
[...]

The boot message shows that no eth0 device could be found by the
autoprobing.  If you want to debug this, you will have to go through the
probing code in via-rhine.c and check where it fails (and compare it with a
working Linux kernel source code if it differs there).

The linux drivers in GNU Mach are quite out of date.  We are working on
OSKit-Mach, and OSKit has newer drivers.  This might be a future solution
for you if hacking gnumach doesn't lead to any result.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de