Re: Debian GNU or Debian GNU/Hurd?

Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:

> I understand it as "the Debian release of the GNU operating system",
> which seems logical. GNU software packaged and distributed by
> Debian.

This is correct.

> NOTE: I have a lot of respect to Hurd hackers and don't pretend to
> offend them, this is just the way the FSF calls it.

I don't think there is any inherent need to have "Hurd" on the CDs
except for the sake of clarity.

The correct name of the system is GNU, and Debian has put it together,
so "Debian GNU" makes the most sense to me.

There are other things that should be on the CD besides the main
name.  There should be the architecture, the word "binary", a version
number, and hey, why not "the Hurd" too.  All of these things are
important additional information which can help to reduce confusion.

Are we allowed a whole phrase?  More than one line?

Debian GNU
Hurd i386 binary
Version mumbledeefrotz

might be my favorite version, but I'm interested in what others think.

Thomas