Re: xdm problems

Hi,
thank you very much for your help.

At 07:43 09.09.2001 +0200, you wrote:
The reason it doesn't work with xdm is that this program ignores the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable for security reasons. You can configure this,
though.  I forgot the details but somewhere in /etc/X11/xdm you can tell it
to not ignore the value, or even set it to some fixed value.

I didn't find a solution for this one, so a bit of "symlink voodoo" in /lib solved the problem for now. ;-)

> libXdmGreet.so doesn't exist on my system, I read somewhere at google
> groups that this library is (or should be) linked statically on i386
> platforms (it doesn't show up with ldd either).

Dunno right now, but any difference from how it is handled on Linux would
show up in the X Manifest check when building the packages.  Try the above
first.

Well, the libXdmGreet.so error still exists on my system. I solved it by recompiling the current XFree sources (4.1.0) and copying the new xdm binary over the old one - no libXdmGreet needed anymore (libXdmGreet.so doesn't exist in my partial X build either). Now I get a login prompt over the network (via XDMCP) - but when I login (as root), nothing happens. The last thing I can see in the log is that the .xsession script gets invoked.
I don't know if this is related to these error messages in my xdm.log:

WaitForSomething(): select: errno=268435463
and
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

A quick search revealed that the errno returned by select might be EMACH_SEND_INTERRUPTED, any hints on this one?

regards,
Daniel