Re: Networking

Philip Charles wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Dave McDonald wrote:
>
> > > On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Dave McDonald wrote:
> > >
> > > What would be helpful would be if you could identify the packages needed.
> > > This would mean that you could continue your installation and I would know
> > > exactly what was needed on this floppy.

Well Philip,

It looks like the only additional "packages" you need are some
references to additional documentation.

I read Neal Walfield's
ftp://ftp.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/papers/hurd-installation-guide
which seemed to solve most of my issues. Many thanks to Paul Emsley to
directed me to Neal's guide.

(I had done 2 things wrong as I understand it. Neal suggests setting up
a translator that is both active and passive for networking - I had only
tried active or passive, but not both. Neal also warns of shared
interrupts - I know the two network cards were sharing the same intrrupt
- at least that's what gnumach was telling me - but I think the SCSI
card might have also been sharing the same interrupt. I don't understand
how this can be, but this is what I have in my notes).

I still cannot get the Adaptec 2940AU card working with gnumach, but the
system locks up at a different point now; Whereas before it got as far
as reporting

    (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded

I now see the "Failied intialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!" message that
follows that message all the way down to:

    scsi0 : Adaptec 2784x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.4/3.2.4
           <Adaptec AHA-2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter>
    scsi 1 host.
      Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST32151N          Rev: 0284
      Type: Direct-Access                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi disk sd0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun0
    scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
    (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
    SCSI device sd0: hdwr sectors= 512 bytes. Sectors= 4197405 [2049 MB]
[2.0 GB]

Oddly enough, we get to (roughly) this point irrespective of whether I
have both network cards installed (in which case both network cards seem
to share the same interrupt) or even if the SCSI card is installed but
not attached to any drives (in which case the details of the drive
mentioned above dissappear).

Anyway, I don't need the SCSI card in this instance, so I think I'll
just take it out (until I can recompile gnumach).

Thank you to all who wrote and suggested things, and to Philip in
particular who seems to have been very patient with me.

Dave McDonald