Re: Porting Bind

--- Neal H Walfield <neal@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 07:49:14PM +0200, Dios Del Tiempo wrote:
> >  --- James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> a ?crit :
> > > xgethostname() should be good to go around MAXHOSTNAMELENGTH.
> >
> > I just red the page Development of the Distribution of Debian
> GNU/Hurd and it
> > says sysconf() as a solution for the MAXHOSTNAMELEN issue;
> moreover, your
> > Nessus' patch uses it. What is the right (and easy) way?
>
> sysconf can still return -1.

Well, _SC_HOST_NAME_MAX isn't always defined. So that isn't a good
direct way to do things.  However, xgethostname uses sysconf
if it can, but also deals with the problem if the name is too
long.

btw: nessus is a patch that hasn't been accepted.  I should go back
and fix it properly, but I need to put my hurd box back up.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware