Re: Riding the turtles back.

>  Findlibs: some ocaml error about unbound value Mutex.create
> I don't really know what is going on with findlibs or caml, so
> this doesn't make sense to me.

That is a thread-related function.  Probably ocaml is not entirley prepared
for there to be no pthreads.

> boxes: some text based programs has the undeclared symbols
>        S_IFMT and S_IFDIR they are used once when discovering
>         if a path is a directory or not.
>         struct stat sinf;
>         int rc = stat(path, &sinf)
>         return (sinf.st_mode & S_IFMT) == S_IFDIR

If these are not defined it's only because the program use -D_POSIX_SOURCE
or somesuch.  If the program defines no feature test symbols, or defines
_GNU_SOURCE, then these will be defined.  It is also portable (1003.1) to
change them to do `S_ISDIR (sinf.st_mode)'.  The situation is the same with
glibc on Linux, so it must be that the program got compiled with different
switches for the hurd than would have been used for linux.

> bvi:    This one failed since it couldn't find the symbol sys_errlist
> when
>         linking.  Would a switch to libio fix this?

No, this is just something ancient that needs to be fixed.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with stdio or libio.

Change the program to use strerror instead.  That is totally portable now.

> cln:    This gives me a parse error, but I can't make sense of it.

We can't help if you don't show us the details.