/X11R6/lib needs fixing

I don't think the situation will get better by ignoring it.

All shared libraries in /X11R6/lib are broken as-shipped. The dynamic
loader simply can't find them until told by setting up of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This won't work for s[ug]id programs.

A couple of possible solutions come to mind:

(a) Wait for the successor of rpath, and use that
(b) Declare that /X11R6 is old cruft, and "ln -s / /X11R6"
(c) Declare that /X11R6 is old cruft, and stop using it for good

It seems that (a) has been the hope for now, but I can't see that
coming sometime this decade. (b) semi-works with all the fun
repercussions we've already encountered with /usr (I just fixed
dpkg-shlibdeps again ...)

I prefer (c). /usr/X11R6 is already deprecated in Debian policy for
all but the X window system itself. A closer look at the archive
reveals that only 16 source packages (one of them xfree86) put
some library into /usr/X11R6/lib! Fixing those few we care about
shouldn't take too long. Branden could possibly be persuaded to
special-case hurd-i386, so the X libraries themselves (by far the most
important of all these) land in (/usr)/lib.

FWIW, another 58 source packages put non-library stuff under
/usr/X11R6 -- these want fixing, too, but not that urgently.

Considering only packages alread available for Debian GNU, the numbers
are 7 (libs), and 18 (misc). Of the latter, the majority is Arch: all
font packages.

I'd be glad to hear alternative proposals, but I definitely think that
this needs some consensus in the near future.

--
Robbe