Re: Re: labeling the CD set

On 30 Jun 2001 12:59:44 +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> wrote:

> > (i still hold combining the Hurd and GNU makes a redundancy)
>
> Yeah, let's strike "GNU" and call it "Hurd". Why? Because there is
> another GNU OS that uses Linux as its kernel ...

quoting from www.gnu.org:

"The GNU Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete Unix-like operating system which is free software: the GNU system."

a *complete* OS, this includes a kernel that belongs to the GNU project. GNU/Linux is not GNU and Linux doesn't belong to GNU.
I can't explain myself why but i guess mr.Tordvals had a strong reason to start a separate project and divide our community.

"Variants of the GNU operating system, which use the kernel Linux, are now widely used."

GNU/Linux is a *variant*. Are you holding the existance of GNU/Linux is a mean to rename the real GNU project that has
been with this name since its creation in 1984?

Regards,

--
Robert Millan                Debian GNU user
zeratul2 wanadoo es    http://getyouriso.org/