Re: gnumach & plex86

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 04:34:07PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > It's a good thing that I finally got a second box. Right now I'm trying
> > to set it up so I could comunicate with it through the serial port.
> > BTW, does anyone have suggestions for serial line communication programs
> > other then minicom and `cat >/dev/ttyS1' and `cat /dev/ttyS1' in two
> > different xterms?
>
> I have always used the vanilla `cu' and `tip' programs (I don't think
> current Linux systems have `tip', but `cu' is part of GNU/Taylor UUCP).

This serial console thing is partially working. I've tried minicom,
cat+xterm, cu. And they all work for reading information from the
port but for some unknown mysterious reason, I can't send any
output to the serial port. Actually, that's not true. I was able
to get it working properly two days ago. Unfortunately that
success doesn't seem to be reproduceable.

I'm out of ideas. The serial cable is obviously fine, and I've tried
every combination of the three mentioned programs for reading from
and writing to the port. I just can't get it to send anything
over the serial cable. If anyone has seen something similar, I'd
appreciate any suggestions. I know it can work, I just don't know
what black magic is necessary to get it going.

Thanks.

Igor