Re: dynamic-linking

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:31:05AM +0100, paule@chem.gla.ac.uk wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	(I am tinkering with ncurses with guile)
>
> 	Is there any reason you can think why this scheme code
> 	should fail (apparently hang) with GNU/Hurd:
>
> 	(dynamic-link "./guile-ncurses.so")

This can fail for so many reasons, it's not possible to enumerate them all.

> 	It works find with my GNU/Linux system....
>
> 	I would like to know how to investigate this further.

First think you have to do is to gather more information.  What exactly do
you mean with hang?  Does that mean the process does not continue, and
appears to wait for something?  Or did the whole system came to a halt?  Is
keyboard input echo'ed? Can you interrupt it with ^C?  If you run it in
screen, can you work on another screen just fine?  If you don't, can you
telnet in from another terminal?

If it is just the process, compile guile with debugging symbols, install
libc0.2-dbg and run

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/debug:/usr/X11R6/lib guile your-programma

when it hangs, attach gdb to it.  I think you need to give it the same
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Find out the process id of guile and do

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/debug:/usr/X11R6/lib gdb guile PID

then get a backtrace and see where it hangs.  If you can't make any sense
out of it, run gdb in a "script" session and send us the transcript of
"bt full", and "info regs", maybe even the disassembled code at the PC
(forgot the command).

With this info, we will be able to tell more.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de