Re: gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0'

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Marco Parrone wrote:

> i'm a new hurd user and i want to ask some questions :
> exist gcc for hurd ?
> if yes where is it?

In the "gcc" package, of course.

> if no i've a problem:
> i've installed the linux's package gcc-i386-gnu, that is a cross-compiler
> for the hurd, but if i try to compile a c program with it
> i386-gnu-gcc prova.c
> i receive an error:
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
> what should i do?

If you refer to the Debian gcc-i386-gnu package, you must also have
the ordinary gcc compiler installed, since it's only a wrapper.
i386-gnu-gcc is a shell script so it should be easy to track and debug
to see why it fails.

Last time I checked, the gcc-i386-gnu in potato worked with the
default gcc in potato and the gcc-i386-gnu in woody was recently
rebuilt to match gcc-2.95 in woody. If you have a different working gcc
I suggest that you take the source from gcc-i386-gnu (make-cross) and build
your own custom-made gcc-i386-gnu package for your system.